Atmospheric Plasma Treatment –
Harnessing the fourth state of matter
We learn that solid, liquid and gas are the three states of matter. Less known, however, is the fourth state of matter, plasma energy, and it’s produced within 3DT’s PlasmaDyne Pro.
PlasmaDyne Pro obliterates adhesion challenges in manufacturing
Bonding problems are pervasive in manufacturing because many materials refuse to bond to other materials as a result of their chemical structure. PlasmaDyne Pro overcomes these manufacturing and decorating challenges.
3DT’s PlasmaDyne Pro generates atmospheric plasma to treat a wide variety of materials and improves the adhesion of ink, paint, and adhesives prior to decoration, coating or the joining of parts.
PlasmaDyne Pro produces a highly ionized plasma air stream that re-structures the chemical properties of material passed under its treating head. The invisibly altered surface is now capable of powerful bonding with another material. Some typical applications include: the improved adhesion of ink to plastic parts, adhering plastic tubing to medical devices and applying glue to automotive rubber seals prior to flocking.
PlasmaDyne Pro is customizable for your unique application. The type and the number of treating heads, line speed, automation and product handling are just some of the ways 3DT can custom-engineer a turn-key system for you.
View our detailed Blog article about 3DT’s PlasmaDyne Pro here from the developing engineer’s point of view.
Micro-clean and activate unresponsive surfaces for long-lasting bonds
3DT’s PlasmaDyne Pro uses atmospheric plasma technology to treat a wide variety of surfaces such as plastics, rubber, glass, metals, paperboard and composites. Plasma is also effective for cleaning surfaces by removing impurities, contaminants, residue, and organic componds.
3DT’s PlasmaDyne Pro produces a virtually voltage-free stream of plasma energy capable of cleaning the surfaces of stainless steel, aluminum, and various alloys for improved adhesion by removing lubricants, coolants, and release agents often used in the production of metallic components. These substances impair the adhesion in subsequent processes such as gluing, painting, laser welding and over-molding. Once cleaned with the effective and fast PlasmaDyne Pro, surfaces are optimized and functionalized.
Another area where plasma technology is useful is embedded electronics and flexible circuits. Again, non-conductive PlasmaDyne Pro improves the wettability of the plastic film overlay without destroying the delicate circuitry within. Also, it can be used to treat bare circuit boards to improve solder masks and other protective layers.
PlasmaDyne Pro’s features and benefits:
- Adjustable power level up to 500W to achieve desired treatment levels- turn up the power to raise surface energy on resistant substrates or lower the power for delicate substrates.
- Color touch display for monitoring all system parameters, including troubleshooting and fault log.
- Modular power supply for treating heads allows for quick, easy changes to keep production running.
- Active power correction for highest efficiency and lowest operating cost.
- Compact design for easy integration into production lines.
- Plasma technology dramatically enhances bonding while eliminating inefficiencies, product damage.
- State-of-the-art, solid-state microprocessor circuitry – for more precision and control than previously possible.
- Treating heads are programmed to operate independently, providing the flexibility for numerous applications.