Surface Treatment for Foam, Glass, Plastic Sheets, and Corrugated Material
Yes, thick, bulky, rigid, and uneven items can be surface treated with atmospheric plasma and corona treatment yielding highly improved surface adhesion.
Typically, foam, glass, plastic sheets and corrugated materials have poor wettability and are difficult to manage for surface treatment. Some examples of the challenges are:
- Precut plastic sheets are resistant to media and require surface treatment prior to finishing applications.
- The porous properties of foam cause numerous bonding challenges, such as applying adhesives.
- Glass often needs micro cleaning prior to painting, printing or coating.
- Due to their material make up and uneven surfaces, corrugated plastic boards and siding resist post-processing applications.
3DT’s systems overcome these difficulties with proven technology and thoughtful engineering. High-performing machinery, state of the art technology, and dependable production are possible with 3DT. Our corona and plasma systems greatly increase the bonding of inks, coatings, and adhesives to substrates. The systems below, manufactured by 3DT and SOFTAL, are designed for these challenges!
PolyDyne Pro Conveyor System
3DT’s versatile PolyDyne Pro Conveyor System is specifically designed for corona treating sheets of plastic and glass panels 2-3 mm thick and 450-760 mm wide. It is well-suited for production lines or manual treating stations for simple, recipe-based operation that produces consistent results.
- PolyDyne Pro corona generator
- Variable speed belt drive with rugged silicone belt
- Control panel with HMI, start/stop
- Smart operation with feedback and downloadable operation log
- Adjustable corona discharge levels
- Electrode treating assembly
- Anodized aluminum framework on casters
PolyDyne Pro Sheet Treating Systems for Large Sheets and Panels
3DT’s Sheet Treating Systems uses new PolyDyne Pro corona technology to increase surface energy and thereby creating strong bonds between substrates and inks, laminates, coatings and adhesives. This system can be set inline prior to printing or lamination, or used as a free-standing, manual system. Sheets, at a maximum of 62”, are placed on the conveyor, and pass under a highly energized corona field. A built-in sensor automatically tells the system when to turn on and off treatment. A process-controlled interface delivers uniform, dependable and repeatable surface treatment.
3DT offers a variety of sheet treating systems that can be customized for your application. See the example below and to the right of a system designed to corona treat 4 foot wide, rigid panels.
SOFTAL’s Linear Plasma Treating Station
SOFTAL has created this specialty system for surface treatment of thick and sensitive materials up to 2 meters wide, such as plates, glass, extruded hollow board, foam, honeycombed material and printed electronics. SOFTAL’s Linear Plasma system can be configured to produce potential-free treatment, preventing damage to delicate substrates and embedded electric circuits.
Gain more information about this system from SOFTAL’s CTO, Florian Brehmer, in our Blog article Gentle Plasma-Surface Treatment for Sensitive Materials. Click on the brochures below for more information, then give us a call to discuss your application.
PolyDyne Pro Foam Treating System
This system from 3DT effectively surface treats foam to improve the bonding of adhesives and coatings. Engineered for inline production with our new PolyDyne Pro generator for powerful, adjustable and smart operation. Provides thorough treatment for highly effective bonding. Customizable for your application and product width. Capable of treating varying thickness up to 10 mm. Other features include:
- Equipped with the new PolyDyne Pro generator
- Highly efficient corona electrode assembly
- Adjustable power/discharge levels
- Control panel, HMI, stop/start, downloadable USB log
- Zero speed sensor to prevent material damage
- Precise electrode height adjustment dial
- Anodized aluminum framework with leveling feet
- Ozone filter
- Status stack light